Today marks the 25th Anniversary of the World Wide Web.
Trying to imagine life without the internet makes our head hurt. So as the web turns 25 we are celebrating in the office by reading some interesting facts about all things web and computer related.
Here’s 15 facts that we enjoyed.
1. Before settling on ‘the Web’, ‘Information Mesh’, ‘The Information Mine’ and ‘Mine of Information’ we all names in the running.
2. In 2010 carrier pigeons beat internet upload speed! They sent over pigeons armed with USB sticks the same time they started uploading a video over broadband and the pigeons won.
3. The first computer mouse was invented by Doug Engelbart and it was made of wood!
4. This fact speaks for itself, we were horrified.
5. The internet speed on the International Space Station is faster than the average internet speed in Australia.
6. The Internet requires approximately 50 million horsepower in electricity.
8. Google has only indexed .004% of the entire internet!
9. The first ever message relayed over the internet was “LOG”.
11.To copy the entire internet to a disc, it would take over one billion DVD’s.
13. There’s a whole demographic of “Homeless” Japanese youth, who live and sleep solely in Internet Cafés.
14. The website hampsterdance.com was created in 1998 as a result of a competition between two Canadian sisters to see who could generate the most traffic and is one of the earliest examples of an internet meme.
15. And last but not least, who remembers having to dial up the internet!