If you meet with clients on a regular basis, chances are you have a business card that you hand out. And, chances are that some of those clients have thrown away that business card, or chucked it in the bottom of a drawer, never to be seen again.
So, how can you ensure it won’t get thrown away? Read on for our tips on designing a business card that is thoughtfully designed and stands out enough to bring in new business.
What is a business card and why are they important?
A business card is a small, printed card that holds all of the essential information of your business. This will normally include details such as your company name, contact details and your brand logo. Because a business card is usually the size of a credit card, they can conveniently be put into your wallet or purse.
A lot of people underestimate the power of a business card. They do more than just carry your business contact details. They build trust with your customers, make you look professional and when designed correctly, they can create long lasting relationships with both new and existing customers.
How can you create high quality business cards that won’t be thrown away?
Creating a high quality business card that won’t be thrown away, doesn’t have to be complicated. Whilst your design has to be onpoint, you can create a business card that has a unique twist.
Design a business card that is functional
By giving your business card a function other than just displaying your contact details, you can encourage people to keep it around. There are company’s out there that have created tool kits, bottle openers, torches, measuring instruments, and tonnes of other little gadgets that have a day-to-day use. Having a function built into your business card allows you to promote your company’s usefulness from the very beginning.
Have your business card be creative
Rather than including functionality for functionality’s sake, you may want to consider another creative spin on the classic business card. Your business card is not only a reminder of who you are and how to get in touch, but also a visual cue to what you do. By experimenting with different visuals and printing techniques, you may be able to add a level of interactivity or humour. Ensure you make your business card memorable. People are likely to remember your business even if they do throw away the card.
Your business card doesn’t have to be a business ‘card’
With so many different options available to print your business information on, you have to wonder why they’re even called business “cards”. Recycled plastic and metal business cards are becoming increasingly popular, as they allow a level of customisability that doesn’t come with card. You can cut innovative shapes to create a truly unique modern business card design.
Remember these tips when designing your business card
It’s important to understand that there are certain things that need to be incorporated into your business card design to make it practical as well as awe-inspiring. Here are a few things to consider:
- Include only important information. Don’t weigh down your business card with unnecessary text.
- Think outside of the box, but design within it. Make sure you leave plenty of room for the important information to fit.
- Idea first, then techniques. If you see a printing technique you love, but it doesn’t work with your design then don’t redesign just to comply with the technique.
- Test it out. If you’re going for an unconventional shape, it always pays to test it out on paper before sending it off to the printers.
- Consider your budget. Some materials may set you back an awful lot of money, and provide little return.
- Check, double check, and triple check. Once your design is finished and you’re happy to go to print, always check it, and check it again. You can never be too careful because once it goes to print then there’s no turning back!
Speak to us for your business card needs
If you’re thinking about creating a new business card and you’re not sure where to start, speak to us today. We offer business card design as part of our stationary design solutions and we can advise you on design, materials, printing and so much more.